Solid hardwood flooring is cut from unfinished planks with grooves and tongues grinded on all sides. Solid wood floors are available in different lengths and widths. Since natural solid hardwoods are sensitive to moisture and humidity, they are installed above or at the ground level. Natural beauty of authentic wood in such flooring types is alluring and appealing. They boast of finishes that are suitable for houses or commercial places that require more additions to their glamour quotient ,without trying too hard.
Cost: Solid wood floors are among the most expensive of hardwood flooring selections. These may cost 2-3 times the cost of other flooring selections; and are generally not preferred by those with a restricted budget. However, as the installation of this kind of flooring benefits owners for a lifetime, it becomes essential to understand the long- term returns that are in store after making an investment in the same.
Yes, as this kind of floor justifies its expenses, it makes for an impressive home installation option. Given below are some more reasons to install hardwood flooring:
1. It is beautiful. There are very few flooring options that quite match the beauty of this type. Whether you select glossy maple flooring or a pale one, muted oak or dark oak, or even matter hickory flooring, this wood floor appropriately complements and highlights the décor of every room.
2. It increases the curb appeal. While constructing a house, contractors charge more if you want hardwood floors. Similarly, while selling, appraisers calculate the value of your house after considering the hardwood flooring. Therefore, installing hardwood is a long-term investment.
3. Easy to maintain and durable, this type of flooring lasts for years if maintained properly. Wood floors don’t absorb dirt or easily wear out. However, constant foot traffic can scuff the floor but will not wear it out completely. Besides, cleaning these floors is easy; a simple dust mop and light scrubbing can do the job very nicely.
4. Sometimes, this flooring is made using renewable resources. Cork flooring and bamboo flooring have gained popularity as they both have their origin from sustainable resources. Bamboo floorings are amazingly hard and provide numerous designs that are very similar to hardwood. Cork floors are softer than other regular wood floors, but they also offer a unique springy feel and magnificent look.
5. These floors are available in an array of wood grains, colors, patterns and textures. Traditionally, only oak and maple flooring was available. However, today, you can install hardwood floors made from different kinds of woods like cypress, walnut, and teak. Besides, every wood has a different stain that can highlight different finishes, from high-gloss to rough-hewn and more!
Dos and Don’ts of Caring for your Hardwood floor
Place a breathable or natural colorfast mat outside the entrance of the rooms (where you have hardwood floors) to catch moisture and tracked-in dirt.
Never use soap or oil based cleaners; they may leave the floor dull.