A carpet tile, which is now synonymous with a smart flooring solution, is fast making it to the good books of buyers and designers. Take a look at why these carpet tillers are on the wish list of many.
Carpet tiles, also known as carpet squares, are sectioned tiles spread for carpeting and are being used instead of traditional rolled carpets. Such carpeting is available in a myriad range of styles, colours and designs. Unlike traditional carpeting, carpet tiles are much more convenient and easier to install and maintain. Also carpet tiles are easy to clean; yes, you will only have to remove that particular carpet tile instead of the entire carpet if it gets stained or damaged. If any section of the carpet tile is worn-out, you can simply remove that tile and replace it another similar tile.
Here, we throw light on some of the primary advantages and disadvantages of carpet tiles that are worth considering before you move ahead with your decision to buy them.
Advantages of Carpet Tiles
- Installation: Carpet tiles are modern and more acceptable in the world of carpets. They are available in more manageable sizes, and thus, not much labour is required for their installation. Owners can easily adjust the shape and size of the tiles depending on the area where they desire to position the same. Using a simple cutter and adhesives, you can also place the carpet tiles via simple DIY means without actually paying professionals to do the job.
- Easy cleaning and maintenance: Carpet tiles are squared carpets that are available in sections to make them really easy to maintain. Simple vacuuming, twice or thrice a week would be enough. However, if the carpet is installed in high foot traffic area, it would require everyday cleaning. You can also make use of carpet shampoo for the sake of instant cleaning. Another good thing about a carpet tile is that when you spill any liquid or damage a specific section, only the affected tile is to be replaced and the rest of the pieces can remain as they are.
- Design as you like, customised setting: Available in a variety of textures and colours, you are spoilt for choice when it comes to customizing the carpet setting in your living or work spaces. You may like to lay such tiles horizontally, diagonally, vertically or in any other pattern to make your environment more appealing. Also, you can interchange these tiles whenever you want and give a whole new look to a given space.
- Durability: Carpet tiles are quite well-known and preferred by many because of their high durability metrics. Even the second hand ones are quite durable and can withstand loads of pressure and foot traffic without showing any signs of wear and tear. In short, these tiles are best termed as long-term investments and are often purchased in lieu of rolled carpets for their added functionality and features.
- Warm insulation and noise reduction: Another advantage of carpet tiling is that they have impressive insulating qualities and offer warmer floors during winters. Moreover, because of their noise absorption capabilities, they call for a quiet and calm atmosphere wherever installed.
Disadvantages of Installing Carpet Tiles
- Frayed and loose edges: Undoubtedly, carpet tiles look excellent in the beginning, but as time passes by, their edges get frayed and loose. If poor quality adhesives have been used for installation, these tiles may move from the place where they have been installed. However, using better equipments and good quality carpet adhesives would help in lessening the frayed and loose edges.
- Disfigured tiles: Carpet tiles are available in numerous styles and base materials. Here, it deserves mention that the less expensive tiles may have a rubber base that might become disfigured over a period of time. It’s good to avoid such tiles to gain long lasting value. Also, while cleaning and washing carpet tiles, if you keep the tiles in the sun for too long to dry, you will notice scars and blemishes appearing on their surface, take care.
Since the advantages of a carpet tile far outweigh its disadvantages, you will not be disappointed after buying such flooring solutions for your house or office.
Different Types of Carpet Tiles
Carpet tiles are becoming increasingly popular because of their pocket friendly prices and easy installation processes. When compared to expensive plush and rolled carpets, carpet tiles tend to offer the same effect and are also within budget. These carpet tiles are further categorized into numerous types, which can be used at homes, offices, commercial places and hospitals alike. These tiles are very appealing to those who intend to add elegance and creativity to their interiors and themed decors. Some types of carpet tiles are as follows.
- Woven carpet tiles
These are usually expensive and thicker than regular tiles. Made in looms, they comprise of different colored yarns that are used for making these tiles. Besides, a lot of labor is required to manufacture such tiles and thus they are more costly. Woven carpet tiles are available only in limited colours since only specific colored tiles can be sewed together. For personal room decors, woven carpet tiles would make an ideal choice.
- Tufted Tiles
Tufting machines are used for creating tufted tiles. Colourless yarns are used while sewing these tufted tiles, and then, they are dyed to form interesting patterns through eco-friendly manufacturing processes. These tiles are not as thick as woven carpets and are capable of being used in different parts of the house. Since they have a low density and thickness, they are less expensive than others.
- Flat weave tiles
Flat weave tiles are manufactured using threads for forming embroidered patterns. In this case, vertical and horizontal knitted designs are used for casting a beautiful impact. These tiles can also be used as area rugs. They often look same from the front and back and are more durable.
- Need Felt tiles
Need felt tiles are more durable and mostly used in high foot-traffic areas such as hallways, passages or commercial places. An electrostatic current is used for assembling the fibers and manufacturing need felt tiles. They are thinner than most carpet tiles and thus come cheap.
- Vinyl tiles
These tiles are manufactured with vinyl backing. This is because vinyl backing offers much more durability to the tiles and stops them from curling at the corners. Many carpet tiles are attached with vinyl backing to offer firmer support.
- Fiber glass tiles
These are carpet tiles with fiberglass backing. Fiberglass offers stiffness to the tiles and prevents buckles and curls; it basically adds more style and life to the environment where installed.
Thus, when you are thinking of redecorating your flooring, you will have many wonderful and exciting options with carpet tiles. Flooring with patterned carpet tiles is one of the most popular ways of having a luxurious feel and look of your house – just go for it.